Interested in Joining Our Team?
Here’s all you need to get started….
Fill out this simple form and we’ll contact you to get you started…or you can just show up to a practice anytime…it’s as simple as that!
- Why Should I play for the Stingers?
- The Stingers are a fun, competitive group of rugby players with a proud team history who love our sport. We truly welcome all newcomers into our family and relish getting to know teammates of different ages, backgrounds, occupations, and playing levels. We are one team – we make sure that everyone can earn their chance to play at the highest competitive level or choose to play at a more social level, depending on their individual wishes. We have room for everyone and we can’t wait to meet you! We welcome athletes from all different sports, and there’s no better way to get or stay in shape than rugby!!
- I have never played rugby before – can I still play for the Stingers?
- Of course! We have teammates with all different levels of playing experience – from 3 months to 14 years! We make sure that all players new to rugby receive thorough coaching in basic skills – safety is our number one priority. Rugby is the best sport around – don’t let the fact that you have never played before stop you from coming out to practice and learning that for yourself!
- How do I join the Stingers?
- Easy! Contact our Outreach Director and do the few simple things on the New Player Checklist. (Our Outreach Director will be happy to walk you through them.) The New Player Checklist includes the 4 basic things that you need to do to get plugged in to team communications and ensure that you are able to play.
- When do the Stingers Play and Practice?
- There is a Fall Season that runs from late August through early November and a Spring Season that runs from late February through early May. Practices are Tuesday and Thursday in College Park from 7:30-9:30pm. Matches are usually on Saturdays, with some tournaments that take place on Saturdays and Sundays.
- What Do I Need for Practices?
- The essentials are a mouth guard, water, and athletic gear (appropriate to the weather!). If you are new to rugby, you will eventually need cleats (not softball cleats), and rugby shorts/socks, but don’t let not having those prevent you from coming to your first practice!
New Player Checklist
Don't worry about understanding everything today! Just contact us or come to practice and we'll walk you through it!
- Join our Google Group (main form of team communication)
- Pay Dues ($45 per season for rookies)
- Follow MDStingers on Twitter (for emergency communications)
- Get Registered with USARugby (https://membership.usarugby.org/default.aspx)
- If you've never played before, after your first couple practices, take a look at some of the skills photos/videos from the IRB's Rugby Ready Website (http://www.irbrugbyready.com)
- Talk to our Outreach Director for more information!